tag:

Taiwan Flag

Taiwan Flag

Monday, October 6, 2014

Greeting from Taiwan!

Hello Family, Greetings from Taiwan!                                                                             Oct. 6, 2014
My nametag....I am in TAIWAN!!!


So the past couple of days have been so crazy. We just have a few minutes to tell you we are here and we are  safe. So real fast I will just fill you in a little on what has happened. We got all the way to Taiwan. A little bit late because of weather. And then we went to the mission office in Taipei. Me and Elder Robinson and Elder's Wheeler and Wayment are staying with us in Pres and Sister Day's apartment. While everyone else is throughout the temple housing.

 Yesterday we went to Church which was pretty fun even though it was hard to understand. Then we had lunch and went to Da'an gongyuan (a park) and did a proselyting activity. It was a blast! People here are really nice once you get to talk to them. And they also talk really fast! Here in Taipei you get a lot of diversity so a lot know broken English at least so between the two of us we kind communicate a little bit hahaha.
Currency in Taiwan

 Today we went to get our money exchange for our bikes. So Mom and Dad please keep an eye on my account. We also got up with the President early and we all went on a run through the city and he took us to Chiang Kai Shek memorial. IT WAS SO AWESOME!!!!!! Seriously it was so huge, I don't think pictures will do it justice.

 Taiwan is so beautiful, this morning all of us were saying: there is no way we are running through these streets in Asia. It seems so surreal. But for the rest of the day we just have some orientation and tomorrow we will find out who our companions are and where we are going! So that will be awesome! That's about it for now. We are so lucky to be here with these people. It's so neat how young the Church is here. Yesterday all the Elder's in Priesthood got up and introduced ourselves and then gave them suggestions on things we did in America for home teaching. Although I'm not sure if they could understand us ;) Well I get to talk to ya'll next Monday on Preparation Day so until then!
Chiang Kai Shek memorial...where we ran to with the mission president.
So I have a little bit more time than I thought. They people are awesome, haven't really had Taiwanese food yet but when I walked down the streets it smelled good, not sure who my comp. is yet. We will find out tomorrow and find out where we are going.. The time change sucks. I slept like a log last night. I'm lucky because there a so many of us that I am in the Pres. apartment in the General Authority room and get to sleep on a kind sized bed that is SO comfy! It won't be like that for the rest of my mission so I am trying to enjoy it while I can hahaha. The next exciting thing is tomorrow I get my bike! I went and exchanged my money today and Taiwanese money looks way more cool than U.S. money hahaha. But I get a little confused on what things are worth. I know the exchange rate of things but have no idea on the amount you actually spend. But I asked an Elder and he told me that you can eat a meal for about 2 American Dollars. It Taipei City it's alittle bit more expensive and you just might spend 3.... so yeah I am a fan of that. I went to a park yesterday to try contacting and the park was HUGE! Its called Da'an Gongyuan (park) but in Chinese  it's name is forest. It's super cool! 

They gave us money to call if we got lost and couldn't find our way back to the entrance hahaha. I talked to this old lady for a while and she talked really fast and was hard to understand but it was a lot of fun. I can't wait to be fluent. A sister missionary translated for our Presiden'ts wife. And she was insanely good. Like out of the ordinary good though. It was cool to hear the english and chinese side by side. I understand a lot when it's a American or missionary speaking chinese but the natives  are a little bit harder for me. I think because the don't speak as clearly, just like how we wouldn't say mountain right. Usually though they are nice to us and slow down enough that it becomes easier to understand. Sign  language is still a huge indicator. It was really hard to be in the states and not be speaking it daily. I think it will be easier when I finish my mission because I will actually be fluent enough that I can talk with people and do other things. But learning it if you aren't fluent and then trying to keep it seems like impossible.
Jia You!

Luo Zhanglao (Elder Porter Roe)

No comments:

Post a Comment